(Flickr and I are fighting this morning—all the photos are showing up in my Photostream but then I’m getting “photo unavailable” errors on Ravelry, so just let me know if something isn’t showing up.)
Two months in seems early to call it, but this year is trying to thwart my blogging. Possibly my knitting in general. I finished knitting my Plum Rondo a la Turk, designed by Julia Farwell-Clay for Knitty Deep Fall 2013, on February 5. I finally was able to photograph it today, February 23. I wasn’t working on it monogamously, so I suspect it took me longer to get pictures of it than it did it knit it.
I love this sweater. I love everything about it. I love the yarn—Stonehedge Fiber Mill Shepherd’s Wool Worsted from The Loopy Ewe (I desperately wanted to use the Haymarket the sample was knit with, but the one place that had all four colors I wanted was a bit out of my price point) (and it would have been another blue sweater, which is fine, but sometimes a girl needs to branch out a bit). This yarn is so stupidly soft! It’s also a plied yarn, as opposed to the single-spun of the Haymarket and I just cannot believe how soft it is.
If you’re going to knit a colorwork sweater, you obviously have to talk about the color choices. I did something a little different this time, and chose colors that were all pretty much in the same color family. Normally I like a wider array of colors, but in this case, I was kind of challenging myself by going outside my comfort zone (red is not a color I wear too often; the only other red project I have is my Larch). For the most part, I call this a success. The only thing I wish was a little bit different was the contrast between the raspberry and the antique rose used in the bottom hem section, but eh.
I did make some small alterations to the pattern: I cast on for a smaller size sleeve, as I wanted slightly slimmer fitting sleeves (and I also knit them longer) and bound off correspondingly for the arm opening on both the sleeves and the body. I added a little bit of length to the body, and moved the waist shaping up, placing the back decreases on the center back (I do this for almost every sweater and find that I like the way it fits better).
And then I dyed part of my hair green. That has no impact on the sweater whatsoever.
Yay new sweater!!
Categories: finished object